Not surprisingly, cloud computing has caused storms all over the world. For most businesses, the time of complex on-site and network-based server rooms has passed. In the past decade, cloud computing has become more cost-effective, safe and reliable. Leading suppliers in the industry are investing heavily in global hardware, software, and network infrastructure to gain market share, allowing them to achieve excellent performance. Fair competition always is a victory for consumers and partners because it reduces costs and requires them to constantly innovate to stay ahead.
Usually, when we think about cloud providers, we are referring to three giants in the industry: Azure, Google Cloud, and AWS. Today, we will only compare two of them, Google Cloud and AWS. We will try to keep this article as unbiased as possible and explain everything in simple terms. Certainly, there are advantages and disadvantages to both providers. Believe us, we have shared our challenges! Whatever provider you choose, you will always encounter problems at some point.
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a secure cloud service platform, which provides computing, database storage, content delivery, and other functions to help businesses expand and grow… AWS also provides customers with infrastructure like a service (Infrastructure as a Service – IaaS) such as computing power and database storage at an accelerated price business leader.
In terms of seniority and experience, AWS ranks highest in the IaaS cloud market. Since its founding in 2006 as a subsidiary of Amazon, AWS has pioneered cloud computing by continually introducing new features and improving existing infrastructure. In 2018, AWS ranked first in Gartner’s worldwide report of cloud computing market IaaS and currently dominates 1/3 of the IaaS market.
The popularity of AWS is due to its ability to provide more than 140 services while retaining high reliability, quality, and security. AWS provides documentation and support to help professionals learn how to make the most of the services provided on the platform. Global accessibility and business-friendly services have made AWS an ideal platform for projects that require managing a huge amount of data.
AWS backup service provides a comprehensive and user-friendly backup solution for all AWS services. Main features of AWS backup:
- Centralized configuration for backup policies and visibility on all AWS resources.
- Automate and prioritize previous manual backup tasks and processes.
- Available for on-premises cloud via AWS storage port
AWS offers different prices that allow customers to choose the financial model that best suits their business or project:
- On-demand: Customers only pay for the services provided when needed. You can refuse and stop using the service at any time. AWS offers discounted discounts based on usage volume and savings for reserve versions by up to 75% compared to the required version price. In addition, customers can buy in 1 or 3-year terms, flexibly change available areas, version size and network type of the Standard Reserve version.
- Free tiering offers many free usage options for different AWS services. Some offers are free for an unlimited time while others may expire after 12 months of use or less.
Google cloud service
Google’s cloud platform (Google Cloud Platform – GCP) provides more than 50 cloud computing services. GCP resources for storage, data and machine learning (Machine Learning) are provided as IaaS, Platform-as-a-service (Platform-as-a-Service – PaaS) and Software-like -a-service (Software-as-a-Service – SaaS). GCP is highly customizable and supports open source.
Google Cloud Storage was launched in 2010. In the following years, Google has turned a simple hosting service into a comprehensive solution capable of competing with AWS and Microsoft Azure. In 2018, GCP appeared in Gartner’s annual market research report as a leader in cloud computing. Today, GCP is available in 58 regions and 19 territories.
The power of GCP lies in technical expertise and experience in deep learning, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and data analysis. In addition to high data orientation, GCP customers also benefit from Google’s robust, reliable and secure customer infrastructure. All GCP resources are protected by built-in security protocols and can be managed from the Google Cloud Console – a tool that helps you deploy, extend, and diagnose problems in the process. Production with a simple web interface.
GCP hosting service provides cloud storage solutions that companies of all sizes need. These storage solutions are compatible with all objects, data blocks, data files and server content. Main GCP storage services:
- Cloud Storage – Cloud storage for objects, images, videos, and unstructured data.
- Persistent Disk for storing virtual machines and containers. Provide a fast backup feature.
- Cloud SQL, a MySQL and PostgreQuery service for structured data, workloads related to online transaction processing and web frameworks (Library of built-in code for us to use, provides the basic functions that programmers often need to use when conducting web development).
GCP backup is not supported in GCP. Although GCP provides many services that can be customized or reused for backup, there is no official GCP backup solution. Customers can integrate with third-party providers listed in GCP’s partner list.
CP provides customers with two options based on usage level:
- Free: Users get free access to GCP’s services for a limited amount as stated in the Google Cloud products website, which also allows users to try it out. Free 12 months of any GCP product.
- Paid: This option provides many customized pricing models in order to promote the optimization and expandable growth. GCP provides packages available with different memory usage levels along with regular list prices.
GCP prides itself on its innovative pricing features, providing customized and optimized advanced pricing.
So, Who wins when comparing Google Cloud and AWS? Yes, we will say that both providers have their advantages and disadvantages. In the past decade, AWS has also provided cloud services for businesses for a long time. They are really the first people to promote the cloud industry. We really appreciate the ability of Google Cloud and we are happy to see the speed of global expansion in the past year. During talking about price and speed, the Google Cloud platform is definitely one of the platforms you want to test!
There are many other Google Cloud and AWS products and services that we have not yet covered in this article. Let’s be assured. The ongoing battle of cloud providers to gain market share is only beneficial to consumers and storage partners. Such as lower prices, more products and services, and increased performance.