Do you have an app idea to create in 2020? Are you still wondering whether it’s worth investing? How much money can you earn with an app? If you want to create a mobile app application and are unsure how to make money from apps, we will tackle in this article.
But before answering these questions, let us share one thing. According to Statistics, in June 2020, 96.4 percent of all Android applications were available for free. Meaning, there’s a tough competition in the marketplace to earn money with apps for Android and iPhone.
Therefore, this article is for entrepreneurs who want to earn money from apps by publishing free apps in the mobile application market. So, let’s check out how exactly you can make money with free apps.
Table of contents
- How Much Money Do Free Apps Make?
- How To Create Successful Mobile Apps?
- How To Earn Money With Free Apps?
- Wrapping up
How Much Money Do Free Apps Make?
According to Digital Information World, the year 2019 bought approximately $83.5 billion from worldwide users of Apple’s App Store and Google Play. That’s why the mobile app market is a huge opportunity that you can’t miss out!
Moreover, if you think that free mobile apps are not as profitable as much as the paid ones, then you couldn’t be more wrong. In fact, the top-grossing mobile applications in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store are all FREE. Freemium apps also account for 98 percent of Google Play revenue.
At the same time, 5-10% of mobile app users are ready to buy a paid app. And, the revenues from paid apps will go down in the upcoming years.
Now, if you are ready to learn how to earn by apps, below are 6 factors to consider before making app development.
How To Create Successful Mobile Apps?
With over 5 years of experience, we’ve worked with many entrepreneurs and helped them bring their ideas into the money-making apps. How many users will find your free mobile app? How many of them will download it?
Because of that, we are here to help you generate a good amount of app revenues as well as get ranks on app store.
Start with an idea
When start focusing on how to earn money with apps, the first thing you need to keep in mind is:
- Understanding what problem you are targeting
- Identifying what service your app will offer
- Deciding the features of your app
Another factor that helps in determining how do free apps make money is:
- Target audience – If you’ve already have a clear vision of the target group, it will be easier for you to enhance the success ratio. For example, if you are building an educational app for kids, it is important to go with a monetization strategy that offer free services.
- Competitor – In the end, this step gives you a hint about what strategies similar apps prefer and how much money they make with an app.
How to create top-class app description?
Choose a catchy name
If your app have a snappy name that reflects its major functions, it likely to attract a lot more users. Especially, it’s also important to include keywords in the app name.
In particular, let’s look at Tinder – one of the world’s most popular app for meeting new people. As you can see, the full title contains an explanation of what this app does. It offers to meet new people, expand your social network, meet locals when you’re traveling, or just live in the now.
Create informative app description
In general, the first several sentences of an app description should have information and illustrate the app’s main idea. Not many people click the button “read more”. though, make sure that this part of the description is meaningful and informative.
The next step is to provide your app with the main body of the description. Let’s take a look at the description of Netflix. As you can see, it helps users to find out what they can do.
Design an eye-catching screenshots
When considering how to earn money from mobile apps, another factor is the app’s screenshots. Users want to know how your app will look at their devices. That’s why you should pick the best screenshots.
For instance, take a look at Uber screenshots on App Store. Accordingly, it is added some text describing the main functions. People are more likely to act (i.e. to download your free mobile app) if they see verbs.
Not only good mobile apps idea that earns money, but you also should understand how technologies can make an app better. At the same time, to make it stand out from competitors, it is important to define the development approach.
For example, news apps are better suited to subscription services and gated content while gaming apps can profit from in-app purchases.
Whether you have developed paid apps or free apps that earn money, you need to have a monetization strategy that satisfies your future users as well as ensures your company is profitable.
How To Earn Money With Free Apps?
It is important to choose the monetization model that fits your potential users. There are many different ways to monetize your application successfully:
- Freemium model (with features purchased additionally)
- Paid apps
- In-app purchases
- Subscription model
- In-app advertisements
- Sponsor and partnership monetization
Let’s discover which monetization methods are best suited for your mobile app below!
Here, users can get an app for free with a basic set of features. But, they pay an amount of money to have some extra functions. So, when you are looking into how to earn extra money with free apps, you need a paid version.
Even if only 0.5-2% of app users buy a premium app version, your app will reach a broad audience with a free version. This model works really well with games, cloud services, photo editing apps, and educational platforms.
For example, have a look at Minecraft – a top Editors’ Choice on Google Play.
In other words, to enjoy the full Minecraft experience – including creative mode, multiplayer and more – purchase the game at any point during or after your trial.
In a nutshell, this app monetization strategy involves selling additional features or goods in an app such as in-game currency, valuable items, extra time, health points, hints.
There are three major types of in-app purchases:
1. Consumable items
When considering your in-app purchase, firstly, you must know the difference between consumables and non-consumables. Consumables are products that the user can use within the app, such as health points, virtual money or digital currencies.
2. Non-consumable items
And non-consumables can be used permanently, such as new games, maps, or blocking. This is how free apps earn money without ads.
For instance, take the mobile gaming phenomenon Pokémon GO. The primary currency is PokéCoins. According to Rakuten Intelligence, 100 PokéCoins is the most purchased coin bundle, with nearly 37 percent of in-app purchases spend on this one-dollar expense. Furthermore, while many purchasers are only buying the entry-level Pokémon currency, the middle tier, of 1,200 PokéCoins is currently the most lucrative coin bundle for the game.
Another strategy to help you earn money fast with apps is the subscription model. But this model is profitable for apps that have high user engagement. This type of business is often recommended in music/video streaming apps like Spotify, Netflix, and Apple Music, or productivity apps like Todoist.
The app subscription works in the following way:
- After downloading a free app, users will receive a trial period, often for 7 days.
- When your free using time ends, if you continue to use the app, they will buy a subscription for a weekly, monthly, or annual fee.
Are you looking for a never-ending source of income? With in-app ads, app publishers earn money based on the interactions on the advertisements displayed within the app.
These days, advertising in an app is the most common way to earn with free apps. By the end of 2019, mobile advertising will account for 72% of all U.S. digital ad spending.
There are three types for in-app ads, so let’s take a look!
- Cost per view (CPV): This model means that the more times users of your app watch video ads, the higher payout you get.
- Cost per Click (CPC): You get the payment when the app users click on display ads.
- Cost per install (CPI): With this campaign, you get paid whenever a user of your app installs an advertised application.
However, to avoid common mistakes, you need to know these critical questions before running in-app ads. For example:
- You should choose ads that can’t damage your brand.
- Slow ads can ruin the user experience.
- Otherwise, 78% of consumers will happily accept mobile advertising that is relevant to their interests.
There are four ad formats you should consider in your mobile app:
- Banner ads: The banner ads usually place at the top or at the bottom of a screen and have some text and graphics. But the engagement rate of such ads is quite low. It also depends on brand recognition.
- Interstitial ads: This type of ad has the additional benefit of an expanding, full-screen experience. However, the possibility to take up a user’s full screen can be disruptive. Therefore, it is important to place these ads at natural pauses.
- Video ads: Typically, video ads appear during natural pauses of app usage and last 10-30 seconds. eMarketer believes U.S. mobile video ad spending will reach $24.81 billion by 2022. So, this is a great choice to earn money through apps.
- Native ads: Native ads are designed to match the mobile app’s user experience. Thus, they are seamlessly integrated into mobile applications, making them subtle but quite efficient.
Also known as influencer marketing, sponsorship is a really effective way to monetize your mobile app. Let us explain.
If you already have a large user base, brands may be interested in using your mobile app to connect with their target audiences. There are two types of sponsorship deals:
- Split the revenue with your sponsors
- Receive a monthly sponsorship fee
In fact, choosing sponsorship with your trusted partners can be a win-win scenario. Not only earn money with apps, but you are also connecting your users to a brand they may find useful. For example, if you have an on-demand food delivery app, you can work with partners that share those values — giving users a valuable recommendation about restaurants nearby or coupons.
For the best results, you need to develop an overall strategy that includes more than one of the techniques discussed in this article. But, if it’s full of ads or in-app purchases, your users may feel inconvenient and install a similar one. As an app publisher, you should remember that apps bring profits only as long as people use them.
Now, you know how to earn with apps. Next, you should get the benefit of knowing the future mobile app development in 2020. In conclusion, there are endless possibilities related to how much money you can earn with apps.
If you have any questions about outsourcing, please ask them below! We’ll do our best to answer each one, and may even write another post on the most frequently asked questions about outsourcing.
At AgileTech Vietnam, we have expert Project Managers along with excellent teams who have delivered the best products to customers in more than 10 countries, mostly in the U.S, U.K, Germany, France, and Singapore. You can contact us at email@example.com or via (+84) 936 281 059 for more information.