If you’re an Android app developer, the biggest question you might have is which store will generate the most income? Most developers choose Google Play Store aka the safe route, but there are many more options. We have a list of 5 Android App Store Alternatives that promises good results, check out down below.
Aptoide is one of the most popular Google Play alternatives. With over 300 million users, 7 billion downloads and 1 million apps, Aptoide provides an android app store alternative. Most important, it has no geo-restrictions. This means users in any part of the world can enjoy restricted content in their country.
- Massive amount of active users
- Completely legal for developers
- Large payout rate for developers when users make in-app purchase
- Lower commission rate than Google Play Store (19%)
Aptoide does not have significant drawbacks for developers, except for Google Play Store’s attempts to hide Aptoide on its platform. Also, some users have complained about app safety, as the platform does not ban but only flags potentially harmful apps.
Founded in 2008, SlideME has become the second biggest android app store alternatives around the world. SlideME can be considered the single entry point for developers to submit their applications for global distribution into various device types.
- Advanced screening process to reject junk apps – users love this
- Lots of device vendor partners – more opportunities to get your app well-known
- Can protect your applications for free
- Lower commission rate than Google Play Store (20%)
Some of Slideme’s disadvantages include delay on publishing app, app disappearance on its web page, and strict rules on in-app advertising.
3. Amazon App Store
Most people don’t know Amazon has an independent app store platform for app developers. As a company with reputation, Amazon App Store also has many features that support app publication and monetization.
- No registration fees
- Quality reach to users in over 200 countries
- Can publish app to Amazon Smart TVs and tablets
- Many developer resources (testing tools, etc)
But, similar to Google Play Store, the Amazon App Store does charge a higher commission rate of 30% on purchases. This is a big drawback as small developers barely make money with their first apps. As of 2021, the company announced it would reduce this rate to 20% for developers making less $1M/year.
APKPure is a fast-growing independent Android app store alternative. The platform is essentially a mirrored version of Google Play, with – allegedly – less trackers. APKPure also allows apps that cannot be on Google Play, for example apps that download Youtube music, etc.
- No registration or publication fees
- Many supporting features (app management, trend reports, user comments)
However, because APKPure is just a copy of Google Play Store, users do not have many reasons to choose it over the official store. Unless developers provide an app that cannot be seen on Google Play, then they do not have many monetization opportunities. The platform might also suffer from Trojans from time to time, see the incident from April 2021 here.
F-Droid is another famous name in the app store alternative market. It requires published apps to be open-source, so users can literally see how the app is made. As a result, this platform has gained much attention in the Android users community.
- No membership fees for developers
- Much less restrictions on app names
- Trust from users as all apps must be open-source – more popularity
- More coding help from fellow developers
F-Droid also has its cons: it does not have a large amount of users and people consider it to be non-commercial because there are no monetization tools. So, if you only plan on launching beta versions or gain user feedback at the moment, you can consider uploading your apps F-Droid.
We have compiled top 5 Android app store alternatives for developers above. App developers can choose the most suitable platform depending on app functionality and monetization needs. Follow our blog for more technology news and knowledge.
>>>Read more: How To Build App Like Uber: Cost, Features and Tech Stack?
>>>Trending: Top 12+ On-demand Web App Ideas To Launch In 2022