UI design is a critical component of any successful product. It is the bridge between the user and the product, playing a vital role in determining whether or not a user has a positive experience.
Today, it is more important than ever to create a UI design that stands out from the crowd. By following the latest trends in UI design, you can create a UI that is both visually appealing and user-friendly.
This article will discuss the top 6 UI design trends for 2023 that will help your product stand out.
Table of contents
1. Introduction to UI Design
UI (User Interface) Design, is the process of designing the user interface of a software application or computerised device. The goal of UI design is to create interfaces that are both easy to use and visually appealing.
UI design is an important part of software development process. It can have a big impact on the success of a product. A well-designed user interface can make a product more enjoyable to use and can help users to complete their tasks more efficiently.
1.1. Key elements of UI Design
- Layout: the arrangement of different elements on the screen to ensure that all of the elements are easy to find and use.
- Typography: the fonts and text styles that are used to make sure the product is readable and visually appealing.
- Colour scheme: the colours that are used throughout the interface that is both visually appealing and easy on the eyes.
- Interactive elements: the elements of a user interface that users can interact with, such as buttons, links, and menus and are easy to understand and use.
1.2. Why should businesses update the latest UI Design Trends?
Businesses of all sizes should regularly update their UI design trends to improve the user experience (UX), stay ahead of the competition, and create a positive brand image. This can ensure your products or services remain competitive and even become stand out in the marketplace.
A well-designed UI can make it easier for users to find what they are looking for and complete their tasks efficiently. This can lead to increased customer satisfaction, loyalty, and engagement. For example, an e-commerce website with a modern and easy-to-use UI is more likely to convert visitors into customers.
In addition to this, keeping up with the latest UI design trends can help businesses to stay ahead of the competition. As technology continues to evolve, so do UI design trends. Businesses that keep their UI up-to-date are more likely to attract and retain customers. To illustrate, a business that uses outdated UI design trends may be leave behind the times and less innovative.
Finally, a well-designed UI can help businesses to create a positive brand image. It can communicate that the business is modern, innovative, and user-friendly. For instance, a business with a visually appealing and easy-to-use website is more likely to be trustworthy and reliable.
2. Top 6 UI Design Trends in 2023
2.1. Motion Design
Motion design is the use of animation and movement to enhance the user experience. It can be used to guide users through interfaces, provide feedback, and create a more engaging and enjoyable experience.
It has become a trend in 2023 UI design for a number of reasons. First, the increasing power and capabilities of devices has made it possible to create more complex and sophisticated motion graphics. Second, the popularity of social media and streaming services has led to a greater demand for visually appealing and engaging content. Finally, motion design can create more user-friendly and accessible interfaces.
Here are some examples of how motion design is being used in 2023 UI design:
- Microinteractions: small animations that occur when a user interacts with an interface, such as a button or menu to provide feedback, guide the user, and add a touch of delight to the experience.
- Loading animations: animations that are displayed while a user is waiting for a page or app to load to reduce perceived wait times and improve the overall user experience.
- Interactive elements: create more interactive and engaging UI elements, such as buttons, menus, and sliders. For example, a button with a subtle animation can be more visually appealing and inviting to click.
- Explainer videos: short animations that explain how to use a product or service to educate users and improve the overall user experience.
A well-known example of applying motion design is Spotify. When the user taps on a song to play it, the album cover animates to reveal the song title and artist. Or, when the user scrolls through a list of songs, the songs animate to reveal more information.
Minimalism is not an only trend in lifestyle, but it is also a UI design trend that emphasises simplicity, clarity and a focus on essential elements. The goal of minimalist UI Design is to create interfaces that are easy to use and understand, while still being visually appealing.
Many famous apps in the world are using minimalist UI Design. One of them is Google Search, the Google Search homepage uses a limited colour palette, simple typography and plenty of white space to create a clean and uncluttered interface.
Designers often apply some techniques to make the minimalist interface still attractive:
- Limited colour palette: often use neutral colours such as white, black, and grey to create a sense of simplicity and unity.
- Simple typography: typically use sans-serif fonts or other simple fonts to make the text easy to read and scannable.
- Plenty of white space: White space is the empty space around and between elements in a UI design. Designers use it to create a sense of spaciousness and to make the elements more visually distinct.
- Clear and concise language: designers avoid using jargon and technical terms. Instead, they use clear and concise language that is easy for users to understand.
- Focusing on essential elements and removing any unnecessary clutter: This helps to create a more user-friendly and efficient interface.
2.3. Buttonless UI
With the development of smart speakers and other voice-activated devices, buttonless UI has become a trend that eliminates the use of traditional buttons. Instead, users interact with the UI through gestures, voice commands, or other natural language inputs.
The increasing power and capabilities of devices has made it possible to create more sophisticated and intuitive ways for users to interact with interfaces. On top of that, COVID-19 pandemic has led to a greater demand for hands-free interaction, thus growing the trend of buttonless UI. Finally, buttonless UI can be more efficient and accessible for users with disabilities.
Here are some examples of buttonless UI in action:
- Smart speakers: Smart speakers such as the Amazon Echo and Google Home allow users to interact with the UI using voice commands. For example, users can say “Alexa, play my favourite song” to play their favourite song or “Hey Google, turn on the lights” to turn on the lights.
- Smartwatches: Smartwatches such as the Apple Watch and Samsung Galaxy Watch allow users to interact with the UI using gestures and taps. For example, users can swipe left or right to scroll through menus or tap on a screen to select an item.
- Gesture control: Gesture control allows users to interact with the UI using hand gestures. For example, users can wave their hand to turn on a TV or point their finger to select an item on a screen.
Buttonless UI has a number of advantages over traditional button-based UI. First, buttonless UI can be more efficient and faster for users to interact with. Second, it can be more accessible for users with disabilities. Third, it can create a more immersive and engaging user experience. However, there are also some challenges associated with buttonless UI. The first challenge is that it can be more difficult to learn and use for new users. Another challenge is that it can be less reliable than button-based UI, especially in noisy environments.
2.4. VR & AR
Whether you do or don’t believe in Metaverse, the demand for VR & AR in UI Design still remains growing in present time. VR and AR technologies have advanced significantly in recent years, making them more affordable, accessible, and user-friendly. This has opened up new possibilities for UI designers to create immersive and engaging experiences.
So, what are VR and AR? Virtual Reality (VR) refers to the use of computer modelling and simulation that enables a person to interact with an artificial three-dimensional (3D) or other sensory environment. Whereas, Augmented Reality (AR) is an enhanced version of the real physical world by combining the real world and computer-generated content, such as visual elements, sound, or other sensory stimuli.
Businesses, now, even use VR and AR to train their employees and provide customer service. This technology is also applied in gaming, social media and E-Commerce. As VR and AR technologies continue to advance, we can expect to see even more innovative and engaging UI designs emerge.
Here are some examples of how VR and AR are being used in UI design:
- VR training simulations: VR is being used to create training simulations for employees in a variety of industries, such as healthcare, manufacturing, and aviation. These simulations allow employees to practise their skills in a safe and controlled environment.
- AR product visualisation: AR allows customers to visualise products before they buy them. For example, a furniture store could use AR to allow customers to see how a new couch would look in their living room.
- AR navigation: AR helps teams develop navigation apps that overlay directions onto the real world. This can help users to find their way around new places or to avoid traffic jams.
Many retail companies are using VR & AR to create apps that enable users to try their products. A famous example is IKEA, this company develops an AR furnishing app that allows users to visualise how a room will look like with IKEA products.
2.5. Custom Digital Illustrations
Custom Digital Illustrations provide a unique and personal touch to an interface, and they can be used to convey complex ideas in a simple and engaging way. That’s why this trend is becoming increasingly popular in UI Design.
Custom digital illustrations can be used in a variety of ways in UI design, including:
- Hero images: Hero images are often the first thing users see when they visit a website or app, so it is important to make a good first impression by appealing visuals.
- Explainer illustrations: Explainer illustrations can be used in onboarding flows, product tutorials, or help documentation to explain complex ideas or concepts in a simple and engaging way.
- Iconography: Iconography can be used to represent unique and visual-appealing features, functions, or concepts in an interface.
- Branding: Custom illustrations can be used in logos, marketing materials, and website interfaces to create a unique and memorable brand identity.
Do you know Slack – a team collaboration tool? This app uses custom digital illustrations to create a fun and friendly work environment for its users. The illustrations are used throughout the app, from the emojis and reactions to the onboarding flow and help documentation.
2.6. Data Storytelling
Data Storytelling is a big UI Design Trend in 2023, especially in enterprise and analytics applications. Microsoft describes this trend as “…building a compelling narrative based on complex data and analytics that help tell your story and influence and inform a particular audience.”
Data storytelling can be used in a variety of ways in UI design, including:
- Dashboards: Dashboards are visual representations of data to track key metrics and trends. Data storytelling can create dashboards that are both informative and visually appealing.
- Charts and graphs: Charts and graphs are a common way to visualise data, but designers should create charts and graphs that are easy to understand and interpret in data storytelling.
- Infographics: Infographics are visual representations of data that are designed to be informative and engaging. In this case, designers need to create infographics that communicate complex data in a simple and easy-to-understand way.
- Interactive visualisations: Interactive visualisations allow users to explore and interact with data in a more dynamic way. Data storytelling appears to help designers create interactive visualisations that are both informative and engaging.
An extremely successful example of data storytelling is The New York Times COVID-19 Dashboard, they create a dashboard using a variety of visuals, including charts, graphs and maps to communicate the latest data on the COVID-19 pandemic. The dashboard is also interactive, allowing users to explore the data in more depth. For instance, users can filter the data by country, state, or county. They can also view trends over time and compare different regions.
3. How to choose the right UI Design Trends?
As technology is still growing and evolving, the UI Design trends will change from time to time. Not all of them are suitable for your product, just because a trend is popular does not mean it is right for your product, don’t follow trends blindly. To choose the right UI design trends for your product, you should consider some criterias:
- Your target audience: What are the needs and preferences of your target audience? What kind of UI design would be most appealing to them?
- Your brand identity: What is your brand identity? What kind of UI design would be consistent with your brand?
- Your product’s purpose: What is the purpose of your product? What kind of UI design would be most effective in helping users achieve their goals?
- The latest trends: What are the latest trends in UI design? What trends are popular with your target audience?
- Your budget and resources: How much budget and resources do you have available to implement UI design changes?
Hope that these tips can help your product become more effective and visually appealing.
By following the top 6 UI design trends for 2023, you can create a UI design that is both visually appealing and user-friendly. This will help your product stand out in the market and attract more users.
It is important to note that not all trends are created equal. Some trends may be more relevant to your product and target audience than others. It is important to choose the trends that are right for you and to implement them in a way that is consistent with your brand identity.
However, if you need services right here and now, we offer you our expertise. When you choose to work with AgileTech, you will receive huge tech support as we have 8 years of UI/UX Design experience. We have a proven record of building user-friendly and effective apps for clients around the world. If you need further information and consultation for your project, feel free to fill out this form to meet our IT experts!