In the dynamic world of technology, the demand for skilled iOS developers is at an all-time high. As can be seen that businesses strive to create innovative and engaging mobile applications, finding the right remote iOS developer can be a daunting task. However, with careful planning and a strategic approach, you can navigate the recruitment process effectively and find the perfect fit for your project. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the step-by-step process of hiring a remote iOS developer in 2023, as well as empowering you to make informed decisions and assemble a high-performing team.
Table of contents
1. Who is an iOS Developer?
Basically, an iOS developer is a software engineer who specialises in developing mobile applications for Apple’s iOS operating system.
They are responsible for some key tasks, such as:
- Designing and planning: iOS developers work with both product managers and designers to conceptualise and plan new features. They may also create wireframes and prototypes to visualise the user experience.
- Coding and implementing: Some of the popular programming languages for iOS development are Swift and Objective-C. iOS developers will use them to write the code, implement app features, integrate third-party APIs and handle data storage and retrieval.
- Testing and debugging: iOS developers rigorously test their apps to ensure that they are free of bugs and crashes. However, this task often also involves a tester or a QA engineer.
- Deploying and maintaining: iOS apps are often deployed to the App Store, where they are available for download by millions of users. The task of iOS developers here is to monitor app performance and user feedback and to release updates to fix bugs and add new features.
Skills and qualifications
- Strong proficiency in Swift and Objective-C
- In-depth knowledge of the iOS SDK and its frameworks and API integration
- Experience with the Xcode IDE
- Understanding of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines
- Understanding of UI/UX design principles
- Practical knowledge of Core Data or Realm
- Familiarity with various testing methods, including unit testing, integration testing, and UI testing
- Problem-solving skills: identifying and resolving complex technical issues)
- Communication skills: communicating effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
Statistics on iOS
- In 2022, there were over 2.2 million apps available on the App Store, and an average user downloads 17 apps per month.
- The iOS app market is expected to generate over $100 billion in revenue in 2023. It is mostly contributed by the US, followed by China and Japan. The most popular category of iOS apps is games, social networking and entertainment apps.
- There are over 2 million iOS developers in the world, and the demand for iOS developers is expected to grow by 15% over the next decade. Based on our research from Glassdoor, Indeed, Payscale, Salary.com, here is a table of the average salary per year of an iOS developer based on their continents and experiences:
- The number of remote developer jobs has increased by 400% in the past 10 years and over 80% of developers are now interested in working remotely.
2. Benefits of iOS App Development
- Large and active user base: iOS apps have access to a large and active user base of over 1.2 billion iPhone and iPad users worldwide. As a result, there is a large potential market for your app.
- High-quality users: iOS users are known to be more engaged and spend more money on apps than users of other platforms. This means that you are more likely to generate revenue from your iOS app.
- Strong app ecosystem: The iOS app ecosystem is one of the most vibrant and innovative in the world. Consequently, your business could have a lot of opportunities to create unique and successful apps.
- Easy to develop: iOS apps are relatively easy to develop compared to apps for other platforms. This is because Apple provides a comprehensive set of tools and resources for developers.
- High app store approval rates: Apple has a relatively high app store approval rate, which means that your app is more likely to be approved for distribution on the App Store
3. Steps to hire a Remote iOS Developer
Whether you are SMEs, startups, or big cooperate, hiring a remote iOS developer can be an excellent way to find top talent for your project without being limited by geographical constraints. However, it’s important to follow a structured process to ensure you find the right fit for your team. Here’s a step-by-step guide to hiring a remote iOS developer
3.1. Define your Project Requirements
Before embarking on the search for your ideal remote iOS developer, it is essential to establish a clear understanding of your project requirements. This includes core functionalities, user interactions, and any unique or innovative aspects. Clearly defining these requirements will help you identify developers with expertise in the specific features you need.
App features and Functionalities
Formulate a detailed list of both the features and functionalities you envision for your app. This includes core functionality, user interactions and any unique or innovative aspects.
Mobile App Architecture Design
Consider the architecture of your mobile app, which outlines the overall structure and organisation of the code. This involves decisions such as choosing between a model-view-controller (MVC) or model-view-viewmodel (MVVM) architecture, and selecting appropriate frameworks such as SwiftUI or UIKit. Understanding the desired architecture will help you find developers who are proficient in the chosen approach.
Project development strategy
Determine the development strategy you intend to follow, whether it’s agile, waterfall, or a hybrid approach. Agile methodologies emphasise iterative development with frequent testing and feedback loops, while waterfall approaches involve a more structured, linear progression. Understanding your preferred strategy will help you identify developers who are comfortable working within that framework
Types of Remote iOS developers
These above requirements will help you to find the best-suited iOS developer. Remember that you do not only hire the developers’ coding skills, but also need their own specialisation and skillset.
- Junior iOS Developers: Junior developers typically have 0-3 years of experience and are still learning the fundamentals of iOS development. They may be able to contribute to smaller projects or work under the guidance of more experienced developers.
- Mid-level iOS Developers: Mid-level developers have 4-6 years of experience and are proficient in iOS development. They can independently handle complex tasks, design and implement app features, and work effectively with other developers.
- Senior iOS developers: Senior developers have 7+ years of experience and are experts in iOS development. So that they can lead teams, mentor junior developers and tackle the most challenging technical problems.
3.2. Identify the Key Skills of Ideal Candidates
- Native iOS App Developers: Swift (it is essential because Swift is the primary programming language for iOS development), Objective-C (although it is an older language, it is still used in some legacy apps)
- Native iOS App Developers: UIKit, Swift UI, Core Data (third-party libraries like Alamofire or RxSwift can be an added advantage)
- Hybrid iOS App Developers: React Native, Xamarin
Familiarity with relational databases like SQLite and NoSQL databases like MongoDB is beneficial. Indeed, the ability to design and implement efficient database structures is crucial for building scalable and performant apps.
Familiarity with popular APIs like Google Maps, social media APIs, and payment gateways is highly valuable because the developers need to interact with third-party services and APIs to integrate various functionalities.
Understanding of mobile app architecture principles, such as MVC and MVVM, is important for designing and implementing well-structured and maintainable code.
iOS developers should be aware of cloud platforms, such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform. Experience with cloud services like cloud storage, cloud functions, and cloud-based databases is valuable for building apps that can handle large amounts of both data and user traffic.
Testing and debugging
Remote developers should be proficient in various testing methodologies, including unit testing, integration testing, and UI testing. They should also have expertise in debugging tools and techniques to identify, fix, and prevent bugs from impacting the app’s performance and user experience.
Version Control Systems
Proficiency in version control systems like Git is essential for collaborating with other developers and tracking changes effectively.
3.3. Select your Right Hiring Path
Once you have a clear understanding of your project requirements and the ideal candidate profile, it’s time to decide on the most suitable hiring strategy for finding and onboarding your remote iOS developers. There are two primary options you can consider:
Freelance Job Boards
Freelance job boards offer a vast pool of talent, providing direct access to a wide range of remote iOS developers. Popular platforms like Upwork, Fiverr, and Toptal offer various search filters and rating systems to help you narrow down your search.
Using freelance job boards can help businesses access a vast network of remote iOS developers with diverse skill sets and experience levels. The job boards also provide a flexible cost structure for each candidate, aligning with your budget and project needs. Businesses can also manage the hiring process directly via the sites.
IT Staff Augmentation Services
Partnering with a Software Development Company offering IT Staff Augmentation Service provides businesses with access to a pool of pre-screened and vetted remote iOS developers. The company handles the recruitment, onboarding and management of the developer, while you focus on project direction and collaboration. Advantages of IT Staff Augmentation Services include accessing a network of experienced remote iOS developers, reducing hiring burden and leveraging the company’s expertise in iOS development and remote team management.
3.4. Manage the hired iOS developer
After selecting the ideal developer, it is crucial to onboard a process to familiarise the remote developer with your company culture, project requirements and communication tools and foster a smooth transition.
Establishing clear communication protocols and utilising appropriate tools can bridge the distance and ensure seamless collaboration.
Here are some recommended communication and collaboration tools:
- Project Management Tools: Asana, Jira, or Trello (to organise tasks, track progress, and facilitate team collaboration)
- Communication Platforms: Slack, Microsoft Teams, or Discord (to enable instant messaging, voice calls, and video conferencing for quick and efficient communication)
- Version Control Systems: Git (to manage code changes, track revisions, and ensure seamless collaboration among developers)
- Code Review Tools: CodeClimate, ReviewBoard (to facilitate code reviews, improve code quality, and ensure adherence to standards)
- Screen Sharing and Remote Access Tools: Zoom or Google Meet, TeamViewer or AnyDesk
4. Why should businesses hire iOS developers from Vietnam?
There are many reasons why businesses should hire iOS developers from Vietnam. Here are a few of the most compelling reasons:
Large Pool of Talent
Vietnam has a large and growing pool of talented iOS developers. As can be seen on a report by Statista, there were over 100,000 iOS developers in Vietnam in 2022. This number was expected to grow to over 150,000 by 2025.
iOS developers in Vietnam are highly skilled and experienced, but they are also relatively affordable compared to developers in other countries. The average hourly rate for an iOS developer in Vietnam is around $20-$30, which is significantly lower than the average hourly rate for an iOS developer in the United States or Western Europe.
Strong Technical Skills
Vietnamese iOS developers are known for their strong technical skills. They are well-versed in the latest iOS technologies and frameworks, and they are able to quickly learn new technologies.
Good English Skills
Many Vietnamese iOS developers have good English skills, which makes it easy to communicate with them. This is important for businesses that need to collaborate with their developers on a regular basis.
The Vietnamese government is supportive of the IT industry and is working to attract foreign investment. This has created a favourable business environment for IT companies, including those that hire iOS developers.
In addition to these reasons, many businesses find that Vietnamese iOS developers are simply a pleasure to work with. They are professional, responsive, and always willing to go the extra mile.
In conclusion, hiring a remote iOS developer in 2023 requires a thoughtful and structured approach. However, finding the right developer is not just about technical expertise; it’s about finding someone who aligns with your company culture, shares your vision, as well as passionate about creating exceptional mobile applications. With this in mind, you can confidently navigate the remote hiring landscape and find the ideal iOS developer to bring your app vision to life.
If you are looking for a high-quality, affordable, and reliable company of iOS development talent in Vietnam, then AgileTech would be a great choice to partner with for your project. When you choose to work with AgileTech, you will receive huge tech support as we got 8 years of iOS development experience. We have a proven record of building high-quality iOS apps for clients around the world. If you need further information and consultation for your project, feel free to fill out this form to meet our IT experts!