Are you planning to manage your remote team effectively? Do you worry about how big it costs when managing talented remote employees from different locations? How to organize a team, which remote work tools to use, how to communicate with an outsourced team, or how to manage IT projects, etc. are tough yet critical questions.
When hiring a remote team for outsourcing, your project is developed by a dedicated team without allocating physical office. Due to the impact of COVID-19, hiring employees remotely has become even more practical.
Not only awesome for running and speeding a business, but remote teams also grant you access to more and more skilled workers. So that, we fully believe that hiring remote workers are the future of work!
However, when managing a remote team, challenges show up.
- Less control over what is actually happening
- Working across different time zones
- Collaborating among different cultures
- Communicating clearly among afar team members
In fact, there are both pros and cons when it comes to managing a remote team. When you are outsourcing software development, remote team management can be a real challenge. So, in this article, we will give you the ultimate guide to successfully manage remote teams.
Table of contents
- 1. Building healthy relationship between team members
- Trust is a foundation
- Communicate is key
- Feedback and reward remote team’s achievements
- 2. Communication with remote team
- Setting up daily meeting
- Remote collaboration tools
- 3. Advanced workflow organization
- Sprint software development
- Planning and analyzing
- 4. Tools to manage remote teams
- 5. Project managers
- 6. Follow up
- Final thought
1. Building healthy relationship between team members
Trust is a foundation
”When a gifted team dedicates itself to unselfish trust and combines instinct with boldness and effort, it is ready to climb.Patanjali
First of all, you need to realize that managing remote teams will not get completed at the same level as in office. Therefore, before hiring an IT outsourcing company, you should define any details such as experience, knowledge and communication skills.
You can also ask your remote team to present their portfolio relevant to your business objectives. In addition, setting up work-from-home guidelines or calling between certain hours are good ideas.
The more you comprehend about your outsourcing partner, the easier it will be to manage remote teams effectively!
Communicate is key
Your office is in New York, but your remote outsourced team is in Vietnam. Hence, you don’t know when the workday begins, and how long does it take to get back soon.
However, you can schedule a meeting time every day when both are available to discuss daily plans. This will help you minimize the time zone differences.
Feedback and reward remote team’s achievements
You need to feel comfortable to give both positive and negative feedback to remote employees. And, a good remote team manager should know exactly what you expect of them. Also, it is worth noticing how to avoid mistakes when outsourcing.
There are plenty of ways you could credit remote employees’ achievements:
- Spending time to feedback them
- Sending text or gift card to let them know how much you appreciate
- Giving employees a bonus
Besides, we will suggest you some tools for remote teams to work and manage them more efficiently.
2. Communication with remote team
Setting up daily meeting
Daily meeting is important in any project, especially for a remote development team. With this method, each team member can build trust, minimize miscommunicated expectations, and boost work results.
Here are some tips for you:
- Video calling to bridge the gaps
- Face-to-face video discussion
- Talk freely and give enough space to build a nonwork-related healthy and relationship
Remote collaboration tools
After finding remote workers with appropriate skills, you should avoid misunderstanding and exclude a lack of communication. Let’s create an atmosphere where all the remote team members can easily contact each other and you.
Solution – Use Skype, Google Hangouts, Slack, and others. Additionally, don’t throw out professional topics only. Try sharing the phone number, creating chat rooms, having a sense of humor are always welcomed.
3. Advanced workflow organization
In AgileTech, we make the best out of advanced technology techniques to organize loads of work. This will help manage remote team members and achieve the most effective result, yielding superior values for your team.
Sprint software development
Basically, sprints organize your workload into smaller packages. In other words, instead of having a to-do list directly, you have a backlog of tasks, and then the organized sprints with a defined sprint length.
Usually, the sprint length is often 14 days. If reaching the end of the sprint, you can introduce a finished part of the product to customers and move on to the next sprint.
Solution – Try Scrum, which will allow you to help remote team structure and manage their work.
Planning and analyzing
Once deciding to work remotely, it is essential to define your expectations as precisely as possible. Planning and analyzing help you carry out sprints that have to start or end.
In particular, you must know:
- What they have to do during the week?
- How many hours they have to work?
- How much work they have to do?
- What do you expect from remote workers?
4. Tools to manage remote teams
If your remote team members struggle to make a call, or hard to receive meeting invitations, you pretty much fail to work remotely.
Nowadays there are many free services and paid that facilitate virtual team management. Depending on the purpose, you can choose the tools that will help you get closer to your teammates.
Jira is an all-in-one project management to track bugs and issues. As working with team of software development, your work life will become easier. Let’s see why:
- A great source of information about the next release
- Organize your documentation tasks
- Track the progress of the documentation
- Define a specific due date, or deadline, for each documentation tasks
- Handle a team workflow
- Manage your development schedule
- Keep an eye with project status and impediment tracking
5. Project managers
No matter how good communication tools are, human is the key factor in high-performing team management. Together with a team, a project manager is charged with multiple responsibilities of a project life cycle such as initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and closing.
Having a Project manager increases the likelihood a project will be successful and profitable, enabling your business to grow:
- Provide vision and direction
- Control scopes of the project
- Manage time and schedule the work
- Deal with potential risks
6. Follow up
Every healthy relationship is based on trust and communication. Scheduling remote workers is not an exception.
In conclusion, hiring a fully distributed remote team is a great opportunity to keep costs down. Additionally, this kind of work access the best talent and contribute to a healthy change in the work process.
Even though managing an outsourced remote team presents a big challenge. But you can take great advantages of it if you keep in mind these principles:
- Clear workflow organization
- Use effective tools for tracking work progress and communication
- Deliver clear expectations for your remote employees
- Focus on the results and KPIs
- Encourage them for achievements
We hope that this article helped you to learn how to manage a remote team and organize the aspects of project development in the most effective way.
As a leading software company in Vietnam, we have huge experiences in many fields including e-commerce, car-sharing platform, health care, Livestream and many more.